Friday, February 18, 2011

Musical


I have not been entertained by a film with Musical genre for a long time since 2007’ Hairspray. It was fun and very colorful with a not bad storyline too. But I might be bias. Because to me, any film with John Travolta in it couldn’t do wrong. Even though, Travolta played Mrs. Turnblad, a lady and a mother but he did it superbly. A sexy one too!

2009’ Nine was touted as supposedly to be a super sexy and cool but I found it just so-so albeit it’s very dark and somber-mood lighting throughout and the storyline? pffht! it was nothing much to shout about except the glittering list of female actress on it.


During my childhood, what with limited opportunity to catch movies at cinemas, I would say most musicals films that I watched were what is on television at that time and like (most) other childrens who have penchant for anything musical, I was transported to a dreamy and what could be an exciting life with a nanny of my own as in 1965’ Sound of Music and 1964’ Mary Poppins. Julie Andrew rocks! I heart her for a long long time.


Then, I remember a time when everybody are going crazy over 1977’ Saturday Night Fever and 1978’ Grease. And when I got to watched it (many years after it was first released) oh boy! Travolta is really hot, man! And that’s it. I’ve officially fallen for him.


Of recent years, there are few remakes that left lasting impression to me like 1996’ Evita with Madonna played the role of Eva Duarte who was married to Juan Peron, one of Argentina President. I watched the movie with college friends out of boredom and because nothing else playing at that lousy cinema in Kuantan and ended up loving it. For a while, I’ve also gone crazy over the glamour & glitz of Bohemian culture at Montmatre district, Paris as shown in 2001’ Moulin Rouge! and needless to say, Christian (Ewan McGregor) and Satine (Nicole Kidman) are one of my favourite couple on screen. Ever.


And then, of course there was 2002’ Chicago. A musical film adapted from the satirical stage musical that featured Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly, Renee Zellweger as Roxie Hart and Richard Gere as the delectable Billy Flynn. Queen Latifah and Taye Diggs are also in the movie. I swooned over many excellent tracks from the movie, seriously.

And come on, of course the fantastic songs and dance pieces are the attraction in a musical, right? You could see they did some cool moves and perfectly-executed routines, sang their hearts out and basically, telling the stories through the songs. Like when you’re watching 2006’ Dreamgirls. It was such a joy to see Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson and Jamie Foxx performed the songs in the movie because you know there are singers/performers in real life and they did something different but not entirely strange thing in the film (acting and singing). Not all actors and actresses can sing and that’s a fact. But when an actor or actress took upon the challenge and did musical and executed it well (or at least half decently), I applaud them.

In the case of 2008’ Mamma Mia! I was quite skeptical and wondering how Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth’s performances in the film, but I think they did well. The film was based on ABBA famous songs and needless to say, there are all excellent sing-along tracks. As proven by my nephew and niece who belted ‘Honey, Honey’ and ‘Money, Money, Money’ at the top of their lungs every time we were in the car. For 3 months straight. I died.
So do you like or watch musical-type of movie? At all? Which is your favourite? And tomorrow I’ll let you know what my current favourite is. I have not been as excited like this for musical for a long time!

4 comments:

Kongkang Malaya said...

Shue,
Ahhh.. ni ada nak gi tengok musical movie in the weekend ke? Hehe!

I love musical movies too but not all of them. And yup, you're right! Any film with Travolta in it, couldn't do wrong. Musical or not. I love the way he pronouces words perfectly till you can catch every single letter in them words :D

I love Hairspray, Grease and Mama Mia!

Have a lovely weekend, muchos besos!

T said...

I love Musicals! I've watched all the movie you listed except for Nine. I heard lotsa reviews that Nine fails to deliver despite having all-stars actors. My favorites are Moulin Rouge and Hairspray. I used to play Hairspray DVD all day, and drove my spouse crazy. hahaha.

On top of movies, I also like Broadway Musicals. I tried to watch at least once a year whenever they come here for a tour. My favorite Broadway musicals include: Spring Awakening, Wicked, and Jersey Boys.

And obviously I like Glee. I would not have liked it if it not for Lea Michelle who used to do Broadway. She sounded so much better live; not like I've seen her live before, but I watched her stuff on Youtube. Yeah, I Youtube Musical a lot too ;-) Lately I'm hooked on Sondheim stuff. I can just go on, on when it comes to Musicals, just like a those tween who are obsess about Bieber, I am crazy about everything musicals. I got to this blog too, coz I saw the link titled "Musical" from PatinPasta blog.

T said...

Oh lupa...
Another movie you should watch is an independent movie called "Hedwig and the Angry Inch." It's a Rock Opera musical. The movie is about a guy who had sex operation to come to the States with his U.S. army husband during the cold war. Then the husband left her for another guy, and she had to pick up her life again. It's a beautiful movie. I totally recommend it to everyone. The songs are very moving and the actor looks so good as transsexual woman. I just love the movie.

Shue said...

Aida,
tak sempat nak pi cinema, tp layan DVD.

Ms T,
Hello & thanks for dropping by. Yeah, musicals were all fun!